Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Oswald Chambers

I have recently started using a book written by Oswald Chambers in my devotions. The book titled, "Utmost for His Highest" is a wonderful way to think outside of my small scope. The daily entries are simple yet profound at times. I had one of those "I am small" moments today while doing my devotions. The entry for April 9 is titled "Have you seen Jesus?" For most Christians today the answer is probably a quick yes; myself included. Chambers response to this question is quite different. This excerpt says it all:

[You should always recognize the difference between what you see Jesus to be and what He has done for you. If you see only what He has done for you, your God is not big enough. But if you have had a vision, seeing Jesus as He really is, experiences can come and go, yet you will endure "as seeing Him who is invisible" (Hebrews 11:27)]

There are so many things as I look back on the last couple months that I missed seeing Jesus. I think the key is "seeing Him who is invisible" because so much hinges on the fact that Jesus works in the Small everyday mundane things. A small thing from seeing my nephew take his first step and begin his terror being upright and mobile. This could be thought of as simply a natural progression of growing up; but can it be more then that? I think that first step is an amazing example of God's love and beauty. It opens so many new doors for that infant (good and bad) to explore life.

Another example is that fact that I have gas in my car everyday and a house to live in. This entry really challenged me to see God in all things, rather then just when I need God. A question I must ask myself is, what am I going to do with God's blessings in my life? The first step is recognizing them. From that point I must realize that I am simply a steward of God's things. (Believe me, just because I am writing this does not mean I have it figured out. This post is personal conviction I am just expressing in writing. I am striving to work at these things because I don't have them figured out.) With that admission out of the way I can continue.

I would really like to work towards seeing Jesus in every moment of my life. Not trying to over-spiritualize this, but wouldn't that be so joyful to see Jesus everyday!!? To wake up and take that first breath and know Jesus is by my side. When I am driving to work and I see the snow capped Sierra Nevadas, that should remind me of Jesus's love for me.

What it comes down to is, I want to see Jesus!

Blessings!

1 comments:

jason said...

Mike, this is an awesome post. Oswald Chambers is great...

It is so true that we need to try to see God in everything not just when we need Him.

This post is a good challenge.