Tuesday, July 1, 2008

If I were a GM

If you follow baseball at all you will undoubtedly know that the Tampa Bay Rays (formally Devil Rays) are leading possibly the toughest division in the majors; AL East. Not really sure if this is a product of the organization finally putting together the right talent or just ditching the loosing culture. Either way you look at it, the Rays are a very young ball club. That got me thinking; what if I was the San Francisco Giants GM?

First, I would hit myself over and over for putting up $126 million over 7 years for Barry Zito. Next, I would realize that the future of the team is the young talent. Take a look across the bay and across the country to see that you can win with a team's average age that is under 30.

However, I would not do one particular thing. Use the young pitching of Cain, Lincecum, Sanchez etc as trade bait. We already gave Minnesota some good talent years back in Joe Nathan and Francisco Liriano to get AJ Pierzynski who stayed for 1 year. Just build around what's in place and continue to build around the young guns. If it can work in Tampa it can work in SF.

Hey! Look on the bright side, we are not in last!



Add to Google

0 comments: