Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Boston Day 3: In Sam's words


So today I’ve decided to put my (little overdramatic) spin on the days activities. So read it with my enthusiastic tone of voice and insert my sarcasm and pessimism as you will.

Sunday night we all decided that we would skip Monday’s breakfast, as we were still having difficulty with the west coast to east coast time change. So we began the NACCAP conferences with a little chapel sesh in Gordon’s new Science Building. (I have bittersweet feelings about attending these NACCAP conferences on different campuses. I am SO jealous of their location, buildings, amenities, and weather) We then had about an hour break as Dunkin’ Donuts sponsored a breakfast break. Since we’ve been here I’ve seen almost 2000 (my overdramatic-ness) Dunkin Donut places. It’s insane.
We all were still in the “west coast time” and decided to skip out on this and head back to the room for more computer time (which has taken up a lot of our free time since the conference started). The sessions then began for the day which really made us do a lot of self evaluation, as far as what FPU is doing and how we can improve on it. I know my first session has been my favorite. The guy that was presenting is a consultant for college campus tours. He shared a lot of really great information on the effectiveness of campus tours and really gave some really great (and cheap!) advice. I’m looking forward to sharing this information with everyone at the office.

Lunch came and went. The Gordon cafeteria reminds me of the Old FPU caf with the rows of chairs and tables backing into one another. We tried to avoid the high traffic areas and sat on the outside. The food selection was BARE and the set up and flow of the food getting areas was AWFUL. I think I cut off a few APU-ers (which we think are DB’s) and chatted my way in front of the CBU-ers. Whatevs. We all ate and were back in our rooms on our computers, sitting in silence, and laughing to ourselves.

Another afternoon of sessions were ahead, that were somewhat interesting nonetheless. By the end of the day we were pooped out. We had decided to not participate in the NACCAP games because…I guess we just didn’t want to. I haven’t been feeling all that great, Silvia isn’t one for games, Mike and Heidi were fine with just hanging. We decided to head on down to the nearest Target (a little farther away than we are used to in Fresno) to pick up a few essentials for the remainder of our stay. Because the weather hasn’t been as “chilly” as had been the forecast, Heidi was in need of a short sleeved shirt that would provide her much needed heat relief. She was successful in her endeavor and found a cute top, right in her budget J. Silvia and I were looking for chapped lip/cold sore relief and also were successful. I’m not sure what Mike was looking for, but he did make a purchase at the counter. Whatevs. ON THE TRIP, somehow we found out that Silvia only owns 1 pair of flip flops. WHAT THE HECK. How does she live in California and only own 1 pair of flip flops?!? If there weren’t “standards” in our office, I would only wear them. She was going to purchase them at this particular Target, but forgot. I guess Silvia will just have to wait until we get back. I’m still amazed.

We headed back Gordon College for Club NACCAP, which is a night of entertainment (usually an event to make fun of all of the colleges in attendance). This year, they had an awards show theme, where they researched YouTube videos from all of the schools and awarded them based on different categories. There were some really interesting videos, but one that I couldn’t stop laughing about was one provided by Houghton College’s students. They did a spoof on Homestar Runner’s Teen Girl Squad. You can play on the Homestar Runner website here. If you have extra time, watch this video. It is a really, well thought out video, that describes the “dating life” on a Christian College campus. I know I appreciated it and since you’re reading this blog and showing some interest in our thoughts, you will too! I’m actually still laughing about it…..

After Club NACCAP, Mike and I hung around and chatted with our LeTourneau friend, Karl and made a new friend from Dordt. It’s really cool to connect with people who love the same things about their job, have the same frustrations, and just have a common bond. I know we are all having a great time learning and hanging out with everyone here and can’t wait to get back to share what we’ve learned.

Right now, we are headed to downtown Boston to have lunch and get some goodies for all the peeps back in the office. Right this second, we’ve missed the turn for the freeway and are searching for downtown Boston and if you know where it is, let me know. This trip has had more adventure and good luck than I’ve ever experienced. I guess it’s just one of those things where you know God is present and taking care of you in an unfamiliar place.

Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed my perspective on the ins and outs of what’s been going on with us. I forgot my camera cord, in which we could have shared all of the pictures we’ve been taking, but look forward to sharing them with you!

Have a great day, bbl (be back later J)

xoxo.

1 comments:

Andrew said...

Downtown Boston is to your left.