Monday, June 30, 2008

Christians: Really?

I have always had my reservations when it comes to "Christian" branded products/services. In college I began thinking what the world would look like if Christians would just run businesses etc as Christians. Not needing to plaster the fact that it is a "Christian Business". I think people from the outside looking in would respect and be drawn to someone who worked to the standard that Christ calls us to work without feeling the need to have "Christian" plastered all over the ads.
You might be thinking, where the heck is Mike going with this? Just hang with me; here is what sparked that rant.

On my drive to work this morning I was listening to my lovely sports radio; The Dan Patrick Show. He mentioned a story about Tyson Gay, who ran a wind-aided 9.68 at the Olympic trials this weekend. That would have been a world record, but since the wind helped it does not count.
OK, here is the meat I was trying to get to. The headline for this story on One News Now, a Christian news site, read: "Homosexual runs wind-aided 9.68 seconds to make Olympics." I could hardly believe that this actually could happen. A sports blog that wrote about this story had an explanation to how it happened. I don't think it is a statement from site, but explains the process.

Apparently, they have set a filter to change many instances of “gay” to “homosexual,” which is how Tyson Gay, who set a record in the 100-meter dash this weekend, changed his name. This occurs on searches and on their home page, but the actual AP story linked from the site does use “Tyson Gay.” Headline writers everywhere are delighted the name change is only virtual. –Jim Buzinski
From my research on this story this morning, it seems only the headline links to this story had the name change and not the articles. Even more, don't you think it is the responsibility of the editors of this site to check content being posted after it has gone through its filter?

I am really interested in what you think of this story and also my thoughts on it.

Can't wait to hear what you think.

Mike


Add to Google

2 comments:

gene pensiero said...

--
i agree with you that we probably could use fewer christian businesses and simply have more christians doing business as unto the Lord.

on the other topic, i think it's heartbreaking that homosexuality has somehow become the unforgivable sin to many christians. i don't see us decrying adultery or drunkenness or gossip or (these days) even abortion. but when the word 'gay' comes up, it's as if you're talking about something that is unforgivable.

God loves every sinner. and He hates every sin. i am sickened by how little we see christians reaching out to people who are lost because they are in a specific sin.

hey, One News Now, way to lift high the name of Jesus!

Brandon said...

good to see you guys... i just saw this from mike's facebook.

Great book that addresses what Gene talks about - Roaring Lambs from the 90's. I consider it to be the second most influential book aside from the bible I've read and it's probably the main reason I'm a public school teacher.

Especially with gay marriage legal, now is the time to show love. But how to not compromise when showing love without condemnation?