Monday, June 2, 2008

Wordpress + Domain name

Hello fellow bloggers. I just got out of a couple sessions at the conference I am at that dealt with technology in recruiting. One of the big focuses was the use of blogging. Tim Cox is the media coordinator at Biola University and Palm Beach Atlantic U, and presented on what he has done to implement blogs, social networking and media sharing into admissions. This has got me thinking about my own blog and what I can do to improve it. Tim really pushed the idea of moving to a web host so you can publish all types of content and have your own domain name. It got me thinking about doing a trial run with my own blog.


This brings me to the question of doing it. Tim suggested site5.com as a good web host. For those of you who have a web host, what do you think? Also, I would need a domain name. So I am opening it up to all of you to submit domain names. I am thinking I will take the top 4-5 and have a poll to decide what to use and the winner might even get a prize!

FYI, I am also interested in any and all tips you have because I am not exactly what you would call a web genius.

I look forward to your responses.


ps. On a side note, what are your thoughts on wordpress compared to blogger?

2 comments:

gene pensiero said...

--
like the new layout.

ok...here's my 2 cents:

webhost:

first, the host i use is ixwebhosting.com. they're good...had a few bumps with them when they were moving to a new server center, but it's been smooth sailing since then. plus, they're not too expensive.

wordpress vs blogger:

um, you can't really compare blogger to wordpress because...that's like comparing hyundai to bmw. seriously. wordpress.org. you implement it like a program on your server. it's amazing. 100% customizable...most awarded and used blogging software in the world. (i can help you with setting it up if you want)

domain names:

i use simpleurl.com to register new domains. they're simple and cheap. you can also check to see if a domain you want is available.

my votes are:

mikefast.org (.com is taken)
mrfast.org (.com is taken)
wideworldofmike.com (available)
imfast.org (.com is taken)
thisfast.net (.com is taken)
mikefastonline.com

and that's enough for now.

Andrew said...

+ 1 for the awesomeness of wordpress. I use wordpress on www.andrewandlisa.org, reedleydowntown.com, kingsriverart.com, reedleyfiesta.com, and I've implemented it on www.2digitalpro.com/blog, timoberg.com, and racheloberg.com.

I'm happy to help you get set up if you want. Also, I've used a few web hosts, but my current favorite is a VPS (virtual private server) that I use for several sites and web applications I run. If you want to put your blog on it, just let me know. I'd be happy to hook you up for a month or two for pretty cheap if you want to just to give it a shot.

Domain names:
I use godaddy.com. Their site is a little busy, and you have to be careful not to buy web hosting and e-mail and carwashes and stuff from them, but their domains are only $8.95 a year.

The coolest part about wordpress is the community around it. There are so many cool themes and plugins you can use!

Names:
I have no idea. You might try contacting this guy to see if he'd sell you mikefast.com:

LaVoie, Michael
mike@spiritone.com
491 N 3rd St
Woodburn, Oregon 97071
United States
(503)643-3314

It looks like he only has it registered until August.

Over and Out,
Andrew